Group Director, Strategy
We’re growing! Article Group is looking for a Group Director to join the Strategy Team. It’s a new position for us because we need a seasoned strategic lead to be a project owner and driver of growth.
Reporting into the Head of Strategy, you will have responsibility across a portfolio of accounts, setting a high bar for strategic thinking. You will bring your experience to be a key figure on projects, leading the engagement team, inspiring creatives, and earning client respect. Your strategic thinking will answer client business problems and champion our creative excellence as an agency.
At Article Group, our clients are Product Marketers. You understand their role within an organization and what they need (i.e., product positioning and messaging, GTM strategies, sales materials, partner marketing assets, programs and campaigns.) You are adept at managing multiple projects and using different strategic tools and methodologies. You can run a pitch, and be a captivating presenter. You’re a voice of authority within the agency, and an inclusive leader demonstrating a high degree of emotional intelligence that leads to effective collaboration across many different working styles and perspectives. You know how to empower others and create a genuine sense of team cohesion to drive the agency’s strategic agenda forward.
You should have 10+ years of brand strategy or relatable experience in a creative agency setting, with experience leading pieces of business and pitches or adjacent industry experience.
Key responsibilities as the Group Director:
- Directly executes and supervises strategy processes/deliverables and strategists (including freelancers) across a portfolio of accounts/projects that ensures consistency and a high bar of strategic thinking , including creative briefs, insight & opportunities documents, quant/qual research, planning documents, client narratives, etc.
- Key sounding board and problem solver across client projects. Defends analysis and insights to clients when necessary. Drafts agency POVs.
- Represents strategy process, directing engagement and creative when needed on appropriate steps for desired outcomes: it’s not always straightforward. Acts as a confident voice and leader on how AG should approach the work.
- Drive growth by partnering with Head of Strategy and account leadership to expand relationships with key clients
Key responsibilities at the project level:
- Owns (or knows what we need to do to get) the deeper understanding of product category, competitors, and customer context: learns how products work, what individual features do, and why they matter to the audience (connect product features to audience pains; push clients for clarity and prioritization). Uses this knowledge to help outline content for creative teams and provides direction on translating technology stories into human stories.
- Leads/direct project discovery: develops a structured approach to reviewing client docs and conducting supporting research; creates a discovery and interview guide as needed.
- Prepares and delivers the creative brief: takes all the goodies from the discovery process and synthesizes into digestible briefs for the client to validate and for the creative team to get off on the best start possible.
- Leads research process: works with outside vendors and counsels engagement on timelines and deliverables.
- Stays curious and informed: tracks updates in the product’s world, especially overall category and competitor moves and new releases; reads team researcher’s regular updates on Google News.
- Delegates to other strategists: ensures that projects are getting the right strategy support; partners with Head of Strategy on staffing and allocations; manages and mentors when appropriate (at this time there are no direct reports for this role, only dotted lines).
- Thinks about the bigger picture: considers how our strategy practice can drive more impact. Works with strategists across accounts and projects to ensure cohesion in process, tools, and techniques (share your smarts!).
Sometimes you will be called to:
- Conduct workshops and working sessions: facilitate collaboration with client team as needed through deeper dive meetings.
- Field client questions on specific project status: have the answers, or thoughtfully engage with the question.
- Interview candidates: help to recruit and vet potential new team members, either for strategy or AG more broadly.
Article Group is committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, religion, color, ethnic origin, gender, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law.Apply for role
Thank you for your interest in the Group Director, Strategy position. To start the conversation please fill out the below form with all relivent information. We love to hear about you so please take a moment to drop a message that helps us understand you better. * required info